COUTUREGRAM: 1973 Dior Couture Evening Dress

9/16/2015

Getting hands eyes on a couture gown is almost all I needed to get my blogging mojo back. Add a new blog friend and a mischievous boy kitty to the mix, and I am back on track. 


As usual for the COUTUREGRAM series, I will keep my comments to a minimum, but please keep yours flowing. Here is what we are looking at and learning from today:

"Bubblegum pink silk & linen fitted sheath, empire w/ halter strap & self fabric bow across bust, built-in corset, silk lining, label "Printemps-Ete 1973 Christian Dior Paris" (Source: liveauctioners.com)

This seemingly simple dress (and, unfortunately, the dress form doesn't do it justice) has some really sophisticated construction underneath. Just one image reveals quite a few secrets, which I hope to use myself.


As you can see this dress has a built-in silk corselet, which is interfaced and quilted in the bust area, down to the empire waist line to reenforce the fragile silk.

There is an elastic underbust stay, and here is an older post talking about underbust stays. You can see thread loops on side seams that hold the stay.

Bust cups are lined with silk

Seam allowances are notched and machine-overcast with a narrow zigzag stitch

Boning is inserted in all seams and extends down to the waistline. I assume the corselet is connected to the skirt lining.

Ivory-coloured waist stay is visible in the top portion of the image


That's it. Hope you enjoyed peeking at the inside of this dress as well. I'd love to hear from you if you notice something else, or have a question.

You Might Also Like

3 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe